In August, Trenton Makes-Words! explores the impact of music and movement (large and small) on language development. Sessions highlight the influence of pattern and repetition on spoken, receptive, and dual language learning.
Don’t forget to visit our Facebook and Instagram pages for program news and giveaway campaigns!
EARLY-LEARNING MONDAYS – (Look them up on Facebook under the hashtag #MondayResources)
Visit this page every Monday to read our newest articles or view videos on early childhood education.
“Little ones are born with a natural capacity to make music, whether they’re cooing, squealing, crying, or, eventually, giggling and babbling.” This blog post from Music Together shares the amazing ways your baby can respond to music at different stages of his/her life and how you can enhance that experience. VISIT LINK HERE.
8/7/17 – Let’s Move! (motor development and language learning)
How does movement encourage language development, problem-solving skills, and self-confidence in your child? Spend a few minutes with this Zero to Three article to learn about those connections and ways you can foster motion in your daily routines. VISIT LINK HERE.
8/14/17 – Music, Movement, and Storytelling
An important focus of this week’s lessons is the positive impact of combining music, movement, and storytelling to increase your child’s vocabulary. This article from “Colorín Colorado” shares easy tips on nurturing story time and music making at home with your little one. VISIT LINK HERE.
8/21/17 – Rhyme, Rhythm, and Repetition
The early learning initiative Too Small To Fail tells us about the connection between music and learning to read at an early age. They also partnered with the music app Spotify to create sixteen playlists to support listening and singing at home, in your car, or anywhere you are. Happy music making! VISIT LINK HERE.
WORDS EXPLORED –
Musician, melody, tune, orchestra, instrument, percussion, guitar, choreographer, pirouette, balance, top, bottom, fast, slow, tune, theater, inspiration, pirouette, and ballet.
SESSION BOOKS –
Visit your Trenton Free Public Library to enjoy these fun books:
- Cinderella: Once Upon a World by Chloe Perkins and Sandra Equihua
- This Jazz Man by Karen Ehrhardt
- What a Wonderful World by George David Weiss
- All The World by Liz Garten Scanlon
- Max Found Two Sticks by Brian Pinkney
- Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin by Lloyd Moss
- ¡Pío Peep!: Traditional Spanish Nursery Rhymes (Spanish Edition) by Alma Flor Ada
- Giraffes Can’t Dance by Giles Andreae
SESSION SONGS –
- Trenton Makes–Words! chant
- Hello Song
- Eh-Un-Lan-Weh-Seh-Un-Lan (Middle East) Arabic Welcome Chant
- Obiswana (Ghana)
- De Colores (Mexico)
- Polish Circle Dance (Poland) on Dance Tunes from Many Lands
- Neesa (Seneca)
- What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong
- Singin’ Every Day by Music Together
- Don Alfredo Baila by Music Together
- Spin and Stop by Music Together
- Dancing with Teddy by Music Together
PARENT TIPS –