During November and December, weekly sessions embrace the spirit of culture and tradition! From a birthday party to the holidays, every celebration comes with rituals, and family gatherings to make long-lasting memories for everyone. Our facilitators have crafted thoughtful lessons that connect vocabulary learning to the diversity of cultural traditions.
WORDS EXPLORED –
Cooperate, birthday, share, portrait, happy, sad, excited, senses, change, joyful, share, grateful, thankful, feast, portrait, melody, ingredient, unique, delicious, cake, decorate, percussion, fragrant, observe, texture, foliage, myth, legend, rhythm, characters, and bright.
PARENT TIPS –
Did you know? – “What are your child’s interests? Whether it’s a game, an animal, or something you find out in the community, looking for that spark of interest from them is a great way to start a conversation. Tune in to that spark–what can you learn about this game, object, or topic together?” In November, we start the theme of “Culture & Tradition” with an interactive parent tip to cultivate more parent-child conversations.
Did you know? – “Playing I spy with your children or a similar game can help keep your children calm and focused during your errands, and relieve stress for you! For instance, you can try ‘I spy with my little eye, something…orange!’ or ‘I spy with my little eye, something orange and…huge!’” Autumn is full of warm colors everywhere, we can use this interactive word game to teach our little ones about the fall season in a fun, easy way.
Did you know? – “Young children experience very strong bursts of emotion, by acknowledging and naming these emotions for them, and by helping them recognize and name emotions in others, you are not only helping to grow their vocabulary but their social and emotional development as well.”
SESSION BOOKS –
Find these books at your local library or at a bookstore nearby:
• Bear Says Thanks by Karma WilsonRainbow Crow by Nancy Van Laan
• I Love Fall! by Alison Inches
• I Spy Little Letters by Jean Marzollo
• I Spy Little Animals by Jean Marzollo
• I Spy Little Toys by Jean Marzollo
• Tree by Britta Teckentrup
• Veo el otoño / I See Fall (Multilingual Edition) by Charles Ghigna
• It’s My Birthday! by Helen Oxenbury
• Daddy Hugs by Karen Katz
• It’s my Birthday! by Helen Oxenbury
• On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman
• La Noche En Que Tú Naciste by Nancy Tillman
• Adivina cuanto te quiero by Sam McBratney
• I Like Myself by Karen Beaumont
• Rainbow Crow by Nancy Van Laan
SESSION SONGS –
• Trenton Makes–Words! Chant
• Wiggle, Wiggle
• Buenos Días
• If You’re Happy and You Know It
• This is The Way We Laugh and Play
• 5 Little Acorns
• Can You Do What I Do?
• Ridin’ in the Car
• Foolin’ Around
• This Little Light of Mine
• Las Mañanitas
• Happy (by Pharrell Williams)
• Don’t Worry, Be Happy (by Bobby McFerrin)
• What a Wonderful World (by Louis Armstrong)